Building Department

Freaquently Asked Questions



353 West Main Street

Westville, Indiana 46391

Phone: (219) 785-2123

Fax:      (219) 785-2607

Mailing Address:

P.O. Box 275

Westville, Indiana 46391

· What is a Building Permit?

A building permit is an agreement between the Town of Westville and the applicant whereby the applicant agrees to follow all building codes. A building permit issued by the Building Commissioner serves as a formal and legal authorization to start the construction work.

· What are Building Codes?

Building codes are the rules, regulations and specifications that the Town of Westville uses to help ensure quality construction and a safe finished structure. For residential building codes the International Residential Code with Indiana amendments is followed. For commercial and industrial codes the International Building Code with Indiana amendments is followed. The Building Commissioner for the Town of Westville checks for adherence to these codes through inspections.

· Why are Inspections needed?

Town ordinance requires a permit be issued when work is to be performed on a structure. The inspections that follow the issuance of the permit may uncover unsatisfactory work, faulty materials or violations of the code that could result in unsafe and hazardous conditions for you, your family, your employee's or the general public.

· What types of Inspections Are Required?

Typically, builders are required to call for three types of inspections during the building process, prior to covering up their work: footing/underground; framing/rough-in; and final. A site inspection may also be required to ensure proper setbacks. No concrete shall be poured without a soil inspection. No drywall, lath, paneling, or plaster may be installed prior to an inspection of the framing, electrical, mechanical and plumbing. The contact numbers to call and schedule an inspection are listed on the main Building Department page.

· What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

It is a document that certifies all inspections were made and approved by the Building Department and that the structure is ready for occupancy. This is the final required inspection.

· Where do I apply for a Building Permit?

You may apply for a permit, in person, at the Town Hall Office or you may apply by mail or email. The application for a building permit is listed on the main Building Department page, under Forms & Applications. Once the application is approved and issued, you will be contacted to pick up the permit, and informed of the cost.

· Who is responsible for obtaining a Building Permit?

The property owner is responsible for obtaining a Building Permit. However, the contractor performing the work may also apply for the building permit for the homeowner. The building permit is issued in the name of the homeowner.

· How long is a Building Permit valid?

The permit is valid for one year from the issuance date.

· Who needs a Contractor Registration and why?

All contractors performing work in the Town of Westville must be registered with the Town of Westville. Registration ensures that contractors are insured. If you are planning to hire a contractor, contact the Town Hall to verify that the contractor is registered. If you are a contractor, you may pick up a Contractor Registration application at the Town Hall and apply in person. You may also print an application form off the main Building Department page, under Forms & Applications, and mail or email it into the Town Hall office. A current copy of your insurance is required, which lists the Town of Westville as the Certificate Holder.

· What is the cost of a Contractor Registration?

The fee for a Contractor Registration is $75 per calendar year. The Registration is valid from the issuance date of the current year through December 31st of the current year.

· What is the process to renew a Contractor Registration?

We offer a discount for currently registered contractors who wish to renew their license for the upcoming year however; we do not send out reminder notices. In order to register for the upcoming year, the contractor must complete a new application, attach a copy of their insurance and present it or mail it to the Town Hall with a payment of $50. The time frame to apply for a license and receive the discounted rate is November 1st of the current year through January 31st of the next year. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Your receipt and your license will be mailed to you.